Sunday, June 16, 2013

En route

The alarm (one of several, as I am a notoriously heavy sleeper capable of slumbering through shockingly loud noises) ripped me from my slumber at 2:03 A.M.. It seemed unfair that we would need to depart Cheyenne at 3 O'clock for an 11:15 flight, but I suppose the needs of the many our weigh the needs of the few. We loaded onto 4 big yellow school buses in front of the Plains, and the journey was underway!

The "hurry up and wait" mentality of large group travel was never more evident than our DIA experience, where we stood in a single file line OUTSIDE of the Delta ticketing area (at 5 AM) and advanced to the counter, one flight group at a time. As one of 3 staff members on flight group #8, this would be my home for a few hours.

After finally obtaining a boarding pass and conducting head check #3 for the day, it was on to the penetration chambers (some call it TSA) and a train ride to concourse C, where we would do more head counting, and more waiting. Luckily I have 2 adults in my group and I group of 4 inseparable high school classmates, so my head counts are significantly easier. After a healthy breakfast of yogurt, granola, fresh fruit, and a muffin at the Timberline Grill w/ Michele L., I was energized for more waiting and an uneventful flight to Minneapolis/St. Paul.

From the A.M.:


Minneapolis/St.Paul, long one of my favorite airports, even after being marooned there on my first trip with Wyoming Ambassadors of Music in 1998, did not disappoint on the "wow" factor. It still has a relaxed feel, great food, and concourses that feel much more like an upscale shopping mall than a factory for moving people from point A to point B, but they've also added something new since the last time I flew out of MSP over 5 years ago....
IPADS!!!!!!

The international terminal has added iPads at all of the tables and barstools free for anyone to use. I would estimate there were probably 500 in all. Not only does this provide weary travelers with a place to connect, unwind, and kill time, but they are all connected to credit card readers and food ordering software, so a person can literally sit on their ass, order food, pay for it, and go back to playing angry birds...all without a semblance of inertia-breaking forward momentum. 




A & A are mesmerized by the glowing display and have fallen under its spell.

1 comment:

Nancy said...

Wow, I'm impressed with the iPads in the Minneapolis airport - definitely a consumer-friendly space.